A friend posted the following video on twitter this morning that I found so profoundly disturbing I decided to blog about it. Writing the headline proved so challenging, it became the story.
I’m so incredibly flabbergasted by this video, it’s hard to know where to start. In order to share it here, I needed a title, so I set out to accomplish that, and was deluged by an avalanche of possibilities:
1) How NOT to pet a dog.
2) Great way to get your face bit off.
3) How human behavior leads to the execution of innocent dogs.
4) Delusion and the art of misreading dog body language.
5) Comments on a YouTube video that could save your life.
6) When Rotties “purr” they typically close their eyes, their bodies go soft, and they tend to lean as much of their weight as possible against the nearest human. They don’t stare at you intently, freeze, or turn their head away from the “affection.”
7) STRESSED/ANGRY dogs do the opposite of #6.
8 ) When a dog gives you the “whale eye” (look it up) while growling, it’s a good time to stop what you’re doing and FREEZE.
9) The evening news will report that a “Rottweiler snapped and turned on the woman who adopted him 4 months prior for no reason.”
10) Ignorance can be deadly.
If you’d like to see what a happy, “purring” Rottweiler looks like: